Fire at hospital construction site
Construction work at the new hospital temporarily halted yesterday morning after a small fire broke out at the site.
Workers attended the fire with extinguishers, and were joined within minutes by the Bermuda Fire Service.
A Bermuda Hospitals Board spokeswoman said: At approximately 9.15am, smoke caused by smouldering wires was seen at the end of the construction site near the site offices.
BMC McAlpine staff responded immediately in extinguishing the fire, turning off the electricity supply and sounding the evacuate alarm.
Barry New, the general manager of Paget Health Services, said that the fire caused no injuries and only minor cable damage to a part of the sites temporary electrics.
Although the fire was not in the main building, as a safety precaution all site operatives were evacuated from the construction areas and accounted for in the fire assembly points within ten minutes of the incident, Mr New said.
Following the all clear from the Bermuda Fire Service and Belco, most staff returned to work at around 9.45am.
Project electricians repaired the damaged circuit and had restored lights and power to the remainder of the site by lunchtime.
Pitbull attacks young boy
Rising anger in our community – Curb
Cashier shaken after armed robbery
Same-sex marriage issue stirs passions
New practice to fill gap in medical services
MP’s pancake fundraiser for new wheelchair
Eco Diva Channa channels natural beauty
Decision will heighten tensions in community
Companies with no health insurance named
Divided but peaceful: hundreds at Cabinet
Designer’s all-black style goes global
Executive badly injured in UK robbery
Tributes to ‘caring and giving’ bus driver
Bermies founder expands swim shorts range
Fire destroys four vehicles in Sandys
‘Immaculate’ group of apartments on offer
Take Our Poll