Road ban for dangerous drink driver
A 27-year-old Pembroke man has been banned from the road after pleading guilty to dangerous driving and to driving while impaired.
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo heard how Shannon Mello was seen driving dangerously on South Road in Paget on October 6 of last year at about 7.50pm.
Travelling west he overtook several stationary cars in the approach to a set of traffic lights before colliding with the front of another vehicle.
Mello was taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for treatment where he was met by a police officer. He refused to have a blood test taken.
The officer spoke with Mello and could smell alcohol on his breath and saw that his eyes appeared to be glazed.
Mello was interviewed at a later date when he told police that he had no memory of the incident.
He was fined $1,000 and banned from the road for 18 months for dangerous driving. He was fined $1,200 for driving while impaired and banned from the road for two years; the driving bans are to run concurrently.
Asked if he had anything to say to the court, Mello said: “I’m very sorry sir. I have given up drinking.”
Mr Tokunbo replied: “It is too late for that now.”
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Convention accepts Bermuda autism papers
Take Our Poll