Belco items from 1940s donated to museum
The Bermuda Electric Light Company Ltd has donated two antique electrical testing devices to the National Museum of Bermuda to add to the existing Belco collection and items on permanent display at the Progress of Power exhibit.
The first piece of equipment is an ammeter from 1945 with the original instruction card included. The second item is a 500-volt insulation resistance tester believed to be from the mid to late 1940s.
The Progress of Power exhibit commemorates more than a century of electricity in Bermuda and explores the challenges of electricity generation and supply in one of the world’s most remote maritime communities.
Elena Strong, director of the museum said: “We are delighted to add these items to the already considerable collection of artefacts from Belco which document the generation and distribution of electrical power in Bermuda.
“The collection at the museum ranges from a very early cedar light pole to a late 20th century transformer, and fills a continuum stretching back to the days of whale oil lamps and washtubs. The Belco collection is one of the first collections at the museum to document island-wide infrastructure, and, we hope, a first step on the path to building a national collection.”
The external threats banging at our gates
Suspicious drones over Westgate prompt ban
Docks operator alert to Corporation changes
Young Achiever: Jah-nai the public speaker
Hundreds turn out for the Triple Challenge
Extra time proposed to review MP salaries
Take Our Poll