Rabain backtracks on school safety report

Make text smaller Make text larger

  • Assuring public: Diallo Rabain said all schools were deemed relatively safe (Photograph by Akil Simmons)

    Assuring public: Diallo Rabain said all schools were deemed relatively safe (Photograph by Akil Simmons)


The education minister backtracked yesterday on a claim that a schools safety report had yet to be completed.

Diallo Rabain said that the preliminary inspection report had been provided to the Ministry of Public Works on January 23.

Mr Rabain said on Monday that the report was “still being compiled”.

Lovitta Foggo, the Minister of Government Reform, said last October that the Government’s health and safety co-ordinator had carried out school inspections from August 21 to October 13.

Mr Rabain added: “The Office of the Safety and Health Co-ordinator, following consultation with the Ministry of Works team, then began the necessary task of translating the high-level report into geocentric individual school inspection reports that are to be included in work plans for school upgrades this summer.

“These works are currently in progress.”

Mr Rabain said the inspections had found that “generally, all schools were deemed to be relatively safe, within time and scope, comparative to their operations and related practices”.

He added: “The public is assured, however, that any health and safety observations deemed high or medium-risk were addressed as a matter of priority during the process.

“Many of the lower-level findings have also already been addressed throughout the course of the academic year as a part of routine maintenance in schools.

“The Government remains committed to the safety and health of its students, employees, and, by extension, the general public.”

At Monday’s press conference, Mr Rabain said that he was sure that “parts of it will be released, or the entire report will be released”.

The Government did not respond yesterday to a question on when the preliminary report would be made public.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published Jul 25, 2018 at 8:00 am (Updated Jul 25, 2018 at 6:52 am)

Rabain backtracks on school safety report

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon

  • Take Our Poll

    • "What are your views on stop-and-search in today's Bermuda?"
    • Inconvenient but necessary
    • 69%
    • Wholly unproductive
    • 10%
    • Unfair targeting of young black males
    • 21%
    • Total Votes: 4697
    • Poll Archive

    Today's Obituaries

    eMoo Posts