Bartender thankful after regaining job
A Bermudian bartender returned to work yesterday after being dismissed following his involvement in a public disturbance.
Kenry Thorpe was let go from the MEF Group after an altercation at the Hamilton Princess & Beach Club on June 10, which he later said was provoked by a racist slur made against him.
Mr Thorpe has publicly thanked TNN Bermuda and Michael Dunkley, the former premier, for their involvement in him getting his job back.
Mr Thorpe said the confrontation at the Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, which was filmed and widely distributed online, cost him his job with the MEF Group, which is contracted out to Rosewood Bermuda.
He maintains he reacted to the racist slur through a heated exchange and should have approached the hotel’s general manager. He has since told TNN Bermuda “this is definitely a lesson learnt”.
Trevor Lindsay of TNN Bermuda told The Royal Gazette that Mr Thorpe had confirmed to him that he was back at work as of 10am on Monday morning.
TNN Bermuda reported: “Word coming to TNN confirming that Kenry Thorpe, the young Bermudian bartender who was involved in an altercation which was caught on video has received his position back at MEF Group which is contracted out to Tucker’s Point Resort here in Bermuda.”
The Royal Gazette approached Rosewood Bermuda last week and was told that the altercation Mr Thorpe was involved in was “one of the reasons” he was let go.
TNN Bermuda quoted Mr Thorpe as saying: “I am grateful to be able to resume my employment and pick up the pieces from this life-changing incident.”
Mr Thorpe also thanked the community at large for supporting him, saying he appreciated everyone’s “input and support”.
Michael Dunkley, the Shadow Minister of National Security, posted on Facebook that Mr Thorpe had been reinstated but declined to comment on his involvement, if any.
He wrote: “Glad to see that this has been resolved and MEF has reconsidered the position. I am very pleased Mr Thorpe will be back to work next week.
“I will not comment on any meetings or conversations undertaken this past week in regards to this matter. They remain private but suffice it to say this was a most unfortunate incident and in hindsight many can review their actions.”
The hotel’s manager and The MEF Group were unavailable for comment yesterday.
MPs urged to vote against quad bike use
CEO describes rise from humble beginnings
Arrest over alleged sexual assault of minor
Belco restores power to thousands
‘It will not prevent drink driving’
Somerset businesses feeling Cup Match buzz
Teaching the masters
Roadside sobriety testing welcomed
Take Our Poll