Police launch investigation into New York phone leak
An investigation is under way to determine whether police personnel leaked images connected to a planned trip to New York involving David Burt, the Premier, and other politicians.
Acting Commissioner Paul Wright confirmed that complaints had been received over “inappropriately disclosed” images connected to the alleged trip Mr Burt, then Opposition leader, was going to take with Progressive Labour Party MP Zane DeSilva, and former independent MPs Mark Pettingill and Shawn Crockwell.
Documents purporting to show confirmation of the group’s booking at the Four Seasons Hotel on June 11 were widely circulated online and on social media before the General Election on July 18. Yesterday, Mr Wright said: “The Bermuda Police Service can confirm that complaints have been received that persons unknown within the BPS inappropriately disclosed the images.
“There is no specific information suggesting why the BPS, rather than any other party, might be responsible.
“If the disclosure was made by a member of police staff, then it would constitute a breach of our standards of professional behaviour. Therefore, the independent Police Complaints Authority has been informed and a full internal investigation is under way.”
The trip was mentioned by Opposition leader Patricia Gordon-Pamplin in her Reply to the Throne Speech on Friday.
Ms Gordon-Pamplin told MPs: “We will watch closely the developments of the questionable New York trip that was planned by an unlikely quartet with would-be gaming operators to determine the purpose of their meeting at the Four Seasons, and the benefit to Bermuda, if any.”
Responding during the Throne Speech debate, Mr Burt said: “There was no trip to meet with, as I quote, ‘would-be gaming operators’.
“It was a figment of the imagination of the One Bermuda Alliance and those persons of whom they wanted to put in the campaign.”
Mr Burt described the portion of Ms Gordon-Pamplin’s reply focusing on the trip as “below and beneath the dignity” of the House.
The alleged trip was set to take place the day after Mr Crockwell was found dead at his Hamilton Parish home.
In June, police confirmed that an investigation had been launched into a voice note left by a member of the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service regarding the death of Mr Crockwell that circulated on social media.
Asked by The Royal Gazette in July about the booking, Mr Burt said that “people should be very concerned if items that are in police custody are given to members of political campaigns”.
Motorcyclists assault students at TN Tatem
Bermi cars for sale after TCD approval
Tourist keeps returning to Bermuda
BHC welcomes higher fees for health insurers
Polaroid cameras back in vogue
No fallout for Dallas over Senate letter
City may be the greatest of all-time
Take Our Poll