Five facts about moray eels
What appears to be a dead eel was spotted on a beach in the east this week. The eel was nearly five foot long and was unofficially identified as a very bloated moray eel. Here are five facts on the moray eel.
1. There are approximately 200 known moray eel species.
2. The moray eel can release over 10,000 eggs at a time which form into larvae and turn into plankton.
3. Often the moray has parasites on the surface of its skin.
4. There are small gill openings that cause them to open their mouths for breathing.
5. The dorsal fin of the moray is almost the entire length of its body (from the head to anal fins).
Take Our Poll