Work on St George’s hotel to begin in May

Make text smaller Make text larger

  • Minister of Tourism and Transport, Shawn Crockwell, has revealed developer Desarrollos has been chosen for a five-star St Regis resort in the East End. (File photo by Akil Simmons)

    Minister of Tourism and Transport, Shawn Crockwell, has revealed developer Desarrollos has been chosen for a five-star St Regis resort in the East End. (File photo by Akil Simmons)


Developers Desarrollos Hotelco Group have been chosen for a five-star St Regis, Starwood hotels resort to be developed in St George’s, starting next May.

Phase one of the development will cost $120 million, according to Tourism Minister Shawn Crockwell, and will include 122 rooms and eight residences.

Phase two will deliver “four large estate villas and 22 golf villas”, Mr Crockwell told MPs yesterday, with Opposition members questioning why so little could be gleaned online about the developers.

Mr Crockwell called Desarrollos a family business, adding that they had completed due diligence. He said there would be an appropriate press conference on their plans at the groundbreaking stage.

The Venezuelan developers, who had an exclusive negotiating period to put a resort on the old Club Med site, saw that period extended in October. It would have expired today.

Construction should begin in May and take 16 months.

The group supports having a casino at the site, but the final decision to licence it would lie with a Commission.

The Minister hailed the news as a “significant vote of confidence” confirming efforts by Government and the Bermuda Tourism Authority to secure “direct long term inward investment and permanent jobs”.

“This luxury resort development will be a tremendous positive impact to our Island and we are moving quickly toward finalising the customary agreements,” he said.

Mr Crockwell ascribed the delay to Desarrollos assembling its “critical path items” for pre-development, development and operation, as well as settling the brand agreement with a selected hotel operator.

Yesterday’s eleventh-hour announcement for the long vacant brownfield site in St George’s was the biggest step since Mr Crockwell declared in May that a Memorandum of Understanding had been signed with the group.

The Progressive Labour Party has voiced scepticism about the reputability of Desarrollos during debates in recent months.

The Minister hinted that the developers were currently in the process of creating a website that might answer questions.

The initial proposal was for a 238-room hotel including a casino, the renovation of the St George’s Golf Course, 16 hotel residences, 24 golf villas and 16 estate residences.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published Dec 13, 2014 at 8:00 am (Updated Dec 13, 2014 at 8:03 am)

Work on St George’s hotel to begin in May

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon

  • Take Our Poll

    • What was the biggest shock of Election 17?
    • PLP 24 OBA 12
    • 41%
    • Famous over Richards
    • 40%
    • Lister's 'miracle' against Sousa
    • 8%
    • Peets running Dunkley close
    • 3%
    • Cox's 41 votes in C14
    • 8%
    • Total Votes: 5504
    • Poll Archive

    Today's Obituaries