Smith’s man fined and banned from roads

Make text smaller Make text larger


A Smith’s man caught driving dangerously on CCTV was today fined and banned from the roads.

Matthew Hollis-Smith, 23, admitted the offence that happened on South Road in Devonshire on October 10 when he appeared in Magistrates’ Court this morning.

He also pleaded guilty to refusing to give a sample of breath analysis.

The court heard that police were called to a crash near the junction of South Road with Tee Street and Kent Avenue at about 2.05am.

Prosecutor Cindy Clarke said the officers found Hollis-Smith behind the wheel of a car that had “extensive” damage to it’s front and sides.

She added that the passenger window was cracked and both airbags were deployed.

Ms Clarke said Hollis-Smith told the officers that he had been driving too fast.

He said he was coming from home and was on his way to pick up his phone from another house.

Asked if he had been drinking, he said: “No, I had not been drinking — I wish I was.”

Ms Clarke said he refused medical treatment but agreed to take a breathalyser test.

However, when Hollis-Smith was taken to Hamilton Police Station he told officers that he did not see the point in taking the test.

Ms Clarke added that CCTV footage showed Hollis-Smith hitting several boundary walls before coming to a stop.

Lawyer Michael Smith said his client regretted his decision to drive.

He added: “The irony was that he had got home safe in a cab but decided to go back to get his phone.”

Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo handed him a $1,000 fine and 18-month disqualification for dangerous driving.

Hollis-Smith was also fined $800 and banned from the roads for a year, to run concurrently, for refusing to give the breath sample.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

  • Take Our Poll

    Today's Obituaries