St George’s man banned from roads for two years
A 24-year-old St George’s man will be off the roads for two years after admitting a pair of driving offences.
Ryan Furbert today pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to impaired driving and dangerous driving in connection with two separate incidents.
The court heard that police attended the North Shore Road and Black Watch Pass area of Pembroke after a bike crash on August 15, 2017.
Furbert was being treated by paramedics when officers arrived.
Asked if he had been drinking, he told police that he had consumed two beers.
Furbert told the court he crashed the bike after becoming blinded by the headlights of another vehicle.
The dangerous driving offence related to a police pursuit through St George’s in February 2016.
It began on Kindley Field Road after a police vehicle was forced to brake and swerve to avoid a head-on crash with a motorcycle travelling in the opposite direction.
Police followed the bike until it came to a stop at a construction site located on Ferry Road.
Furbert told the court that he did not immediately know that it was police that were chasing him.
He added: “I thought my life was being threatened.”
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo banned Furbert from the roads for 18 months and fined him $1,200 for impaired driving. He was fined $1,000 and banned from driving for 24 months for dangerous driving.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
BAA pay penalty as Lions roar into semis
Burt faces PLP opposition over 60:40 rule
Popular mariner to be buried at sea
Notional salaries set to be targeted
Cautious welcome for new sugar tax
Taxi drivers to pay new $1,000 annual charge
Pensions to rise at rate of inflation
Take Our Poll