DPP to appeal Richardson dismissal

Make text smaller Make text larger


The Department of Public Prosecutions is to launch an appeal against a court decision to dismiss a careless driving charge against lawyer Charles Richardson.

The news sparked anger from Mr Richardson.

He wrote on his Instagram page on Tuesday: “I am shocked! The DPP has decided to use thousands of your taxpayers dollars to appeal my acquittal for driving with [sic] due care.

“I have never heard of such. I don’t want to be treated differently because of who I am and what I do.

“I don’t ask for special favours, but I am now p***ed that I seem to be specially targeted.”

Mr Richardson told the court at an earlier appearance that he had been “harassed because of who I am”.

The DPP confirmed that it disagreed with the decision by Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo to throw out the charge of driving without due care and attention because of lack of evidence.

Mr Richardson pleaded not guilty to the alleged offence when he appeared in Magistrates’ Court last month.

A further allegation of failure to provide a breath sample for testing was withdrawn by the prosecution as there were “issues with witnesses and statements.”

People convicted of the offence will be treated as if they had taken the breath test and failed in most cases.

Penalties include at least 12 months off the road and a fine of about $1,000.

Mr Richardson was charged after he drove his car into a wall at Government House at about 2am on November 26, 2016.

Mr Richardson’s post added that the late lawyer Julian Hall told him: “The moment you get really good at what you do, those who wish they were as good as you will break their backs to bring you down.”

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

  • Take Our Poll

    Today's Obituaries