Ratteray jailed for stabbings
A 35-year-old man was yesterday jailed for 15 months after he admitted stabbing two men in Pembroke.
Mareko Ratteray, 35, formerly of Hamilton Parish, admitted causing a 2cm-deep wound to Kahlil Matthews and 5cm-deep wound to John Tuzo, who suffered a damaged liver as a result.
Ratteray also admitted a charge of possession of a knife.
Magistrates’ Court heard the incident took place in the Palm Rock area of Happy Valley at about 4pm on August 31 last year.
The court was told in mitigation that Ratteray offered an early guilty plea and gave evidence in an attempted murder case that led to a conviction.
Mr Tokunbo said there were two victims and the attack was “unprovoked”.
Ratteray told Mr Tokunbo: “My cousin was being attacked, I was defending myself. I picked up a knife; I didn’t have it with me.
“My cousin’s head was split open — we were just trying to defend ourselves.”
Ratteray was sentenced to an additional 12 months for possession of a knife.
Mr Tokunbo ordered the sentence to run concurrently with the 15-month term and for Ratteray’s two months served on remand to be taken into consideration.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Windrush-style warning for Bermuda
Confronting the issue
Choice of Hargun as Chief Justice defended
Duffy calls for triathlon ‘wall of noise’
Triathlon trial run to close roads tomorrow
Wells vows to make improvements
Take Our Poll