Boat crash victim’s family sue skipper
The family of a woman killed in a boat crash in Bermuda have launched legal actions in Britain over her death.
Mary McKee, 62, from Christchurch, New Zealand, died on June 1, 2017 after the inflatable boat she was travelling in was struck by a speedboat.
According to New Zealand news website Stuff.nz, Arthur McKee has now instructed English law firm Stewarts to begin proceedings against Charlie Watson, the skipper who was piloting the inflatable boat he and Ms McKee were riding in.
Mr McKee has also launched legal action against the operator of Dream Paix, the catamaran on which the couple were staying in. The case is expected to be heard by the English High Court.
Mr and Ms McKee came to Bermuda on the day of the fatal crash to watch the America’s Cup.
The Bermuda Supreme Court heard the crash happened as Mr Watson was ferrying the couple across Hamilton Harbour when a second boat, piloted by Bermudian Andrew Lake, rode over them.
Mr McKee and Mr Watson both suffered serious injuries in the collision, but Ms McKee drowned after she was knocked unconscious and fell off the boat.
Lake admitted that he had been speeding at the time of the crash and pleaded guilty to causing the death of Ms McKee by reckless driving. But the court also heard the boat piloted by Mr Watson was completely unlit and Lake testified that he could not see the boat in the dark.
Stuff.nz reported that Mr McKee reached a settlement with Lake’s insurers in 2018, but the sum was limited by Lake’s insurance coverage.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Caines petitions UK over Bermuda passports
Bermuda denied in gut-wrenching finish
Duffy wins in Beijing
Smith-DeShields picks his spot for Rams
Bascome in a stew over no-ball call
Clemons strikes twice for Bodens
Alert raised for missing senior
Rawlins picked up by Brave in Hundred draft
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive