Teenager fined $2,000 for traffic offences
An 18-year-old man has been banned from the roads for a year and fined for a string of traffic offences.
Bradley Arrowsmith-Burgess, from Pembroke, pleaded guilty to three counts of speeding at Magistrates’ Court.
He also admitted riding a motorcycle without due care and attention, driving in the dark without a headlight, and carrying someone on the back of a motorcycle when he was under 18.
The court heard that the defendant was first stopped by police in December 2017 for speeding at 61km/h and riding without due care and attention along South Road in Devonshire.
He was stopped in March last year for riding at 61km/h and again in October for driving at 66km/h. The speed limit is 35km/h.
The court also heard that the defendant was scheduled to appear in Traffic Court in April, June and September of last year, but failed to attend all three dates.
Magistrate Tyrone Chin fined Arrowsmith-Burgess $980 for the three speeding charges, $750 for driving without due care, $250 for carrying someone on the back of a bike, and $50 for driving without proper headlights. The fines totalled $2,030.
He also issued the defendant 38 demerit points for the offences. Drivers with a total of more than 12 demerit points are automatically disqualified from driving.
Mr Chin told the defendant had to learn to use the roads with care. He said: “I believe that if you don’t grasp the concept, sooner or later you’ll hurt someone.”
Arrowsmith-Burgess was ordered to pay the fines by March 12.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.