New psychiatric assessment for man on remand
A homeless man charged with assaulting a woman and abusive behaviour has been remanded in custody to have his fitness to plead examined for a second time.
Junior Ming, known as “Scientist”, admitted the charges last week, but changed his plea to not guilty on Thursday.
He told Magistrates’ Court: “I don’t know what guilty means.”
The court heard that Mr Ming was given a mental health assessment by a psychiatrist and found to be fit to enter a plea.
Nicole Smith-Bean, who appeared for Mr Ming, said she had doubts about her client’s ability to understand the proceedings.
It is alleged that Mr Ming kicked Carlina Caines and her car and shouted abuse on April 24 in Paget.
Ms Smith-Bean said: “He doesn’t know why he’s here and he doesn’t know what happened in Paget.”
Magistrate Maxanne Anderson ruled that Mr Ming should see a different psychiatrist for the second assessment.
She adjourned the case until May 16.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case.
‘Our country is resilient’
Experts eye approach of Hurricane Jerry
Simons and Co licensed to thrill
Rowing studio at heart of Court House revamp
Schrum named among ‘global elite’
Stevenson’s film to show at US festival
Bespoke Analytics to host free showcase
Final update: Tropical Storm Warning ends
Humberto: the aftermath
Roofs blown off as Humberto batters island
Family feud ends with inheritance divided
New eatery Bowl 61 off to a strong start
‘Make companies pay for alcohol treatment’
Change of course needed on state of economy
Take Our Poll