Man jailed for carrying knife
A man was jailed for nine months yesterday after he pleaded guilty to carrying a knife in public.
Magistrates’ Court heard that Darren Anglin, 33, was approached by police after they received a complaint.
But when Anglin threw up his arms officers saw a folding knife with a 3.5-inch blade fly out of his hands and arrested him. The incident took place on Par-la-Ville Road in Hamilton on April 1.
Anglin, from Hamilton Parish, admitted the offence on April 15 and was remanded in custody for social reports.
He told the court that he carried a knife to protect himself after an ex-girlfriend had sent people to hurt him.
Prosecutor Maria Sofianos told the court that jail time for Anglin would act as a deterrent.
Bruce Swan, for the defence, said that his client suffered from mental health problems that would not be tackled in prison.
However, senior magistrate Juan Wolffe said that Anglin had been sent to the court’s mental health programme before but had been “unresponsive”.
He jailed Anglin with time already spent in custody to be taken into consideration.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Call to save historic Albert Row
Nurse with cancer grateful for donations
Swapping insurance for Chinese medicine
Big turnout for breast cancer awareness walk
Digital currency payments on horizon
Completing the Cirqle
Government boat believed to be sunk
Two sides argue over magistrate’s evidence
Lawyer relives search for family in Bahamas
Mentally ill man detained in hospital
Joint store as jewellery businesses combine
Regiment ready to help Cayman Islands
Marilyn’s writing debut
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive