Bail set for two men accused of creating ‘drill’ music video


Further research into a charge against two men accused of the creation of a threatening music video is to take place after it was claimed that it was unclear whether or not a law was broken.

Charles Richardson, who appeared for defendant Ezra Ararat, told Magistrates’ Court that the charge against his client, who is 34, and co-defendant, Raymond Swan, 44, could not be used against them.

He told Magistrate Juan Wolffe that the section of the Criminal Code that they were alleged to have breached made it illegal to threaten a specific individual.

Mr Richardson argued that the lyrics of the music video did not target a particular person and Mr Ararat had been charged with the wrong offence.

He was speaking after Mr Ararat, from Devonshire, appeared in Magistrates’ Court last week to apply for bail. Crown Prosecutor Alan Richards said that an amendment could be made to the charges, but more research would have to be carried out.

Mr Ararat and Mr Swan first appeared in Magistrates’ Court on July 22.

The pair pleaded not guilty to the creation and publication of a music video that called for “the shooting of police, prosecutors and judges”.

The incident is alleged to have happened between July 17 and 19.

Senior magistrate Juan Wolffe released Mr Ararat on $20,000 bail and Mr Swan, from Hamilton Parish, on $15,000 bail.

The defendants were also ordered to wear an electronic tag, observe a 7pm to 6am curfew and report to Hamilton Police Station three times a week.

The case was adjourned to September 23.

  • Take Our Poll

    Today's Obituaries

    eMoo Posts