Drink-driver banned for five years
A 57-year-old man was banned from the roads for five years yesterday after he admitted drink-driving.
Jeffrey Hill, from Warwick, pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to impaired driving.
Hill was spotted by a member of the public driving erratically on Middle Road, Southampton, on September 24.
The citizen called police to report the vehicle and was able to use his horn to get Hill to pull his vehicle over near Five Star Island.
When police arrived on scene, they noticed that Hill was unsteady on his feet, his speech was slurred, and his breath smelled of alcohol.
As he was being driven to Hamilton Police Station, Hill told police that he had drank two beers.
The court heard that Hill had two prior convictions for similar offences.
He told magistrate Maxanne Anderson that he had been drinking the night before his arrest after the death of a relative.
Hill added: “I am really sorry for what I have done.”
In addition to the driving ban, he was fined $5,000.
The fine was suspended because the matter was refered to DUI Court for consideration.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Covid-19 testing an issue in US
Argus buy-up a ‘huge conflict’
Sudden death in Warwick
‘Filthy beast’ recalls unusual childhood
Offers made for parts of AS Cooper
Man accused of 2018 unlawful killing
Man injured in stabbing
Take Our Poll