Sex offender in custody for breaching order
A sex offender released just months ago was back behind bars yesterday after it was alleged he breached a supervision order.
Junius Caines appeared in the Supreme Court, where it was claimed he had broken his curfew, failed a urine test for drugs and alcohol and did not charge his electronic monitoring device for nine days.
Nicole Smith, for the Crown, told the court that Caines was warned about his breaches on December 3 — but broke his curfew again the same night.
Caines, 50, was jailed last year for an attempted rape of a woman in 2016 and was released from custody in June.
Ms Smith added that Caines’s probation officer had suggested a more intensive treatment programme might be needed.
But lawyer Jonathan White, for Caines, said he had enrolled in the Turning Point drug treatment programme and was doing well.
Puisne Judge Charles-Etta Simmons said the combination of drugs and a lack of supervision formed a “toxic mix” for Caines.
She added: “That toxic mix is coming and the court has a duty to protect the public and Mr Caines.
“The safety and wellbeing of the community is at risk if the court accepts the reports made against him, and the court does accept those reports.”
Mrs Justice Simmons remanded Caines in custody until December 20 so the Crown could decide if it wanted to prosecute Caines in Magistrates’ Court for the alleged breaches or make inquiries about more intensive treatment programmes which could assist him.
Caines was arrested on August 6, 2016 after he followed and attacked a woman outside her Hamilton home.
The Supreme Court heard Caines grabbed her from behind and threw her to the ground, but a group of passers-by heard the noise and came to the woman’s aid.
Caines admitted the offence and was sentenced to three years in prison, to be followed with a five-year supervision order.
He was released on June 24 with conditions that included he abide by an 8pm to 7am curfew, abstain from the use of alcohol or drugs and receive treatment.
The Crown argued that he should wear an electronic tag as part of the conditions of his supervision order.
In a hearing before his release, Caines claimed the monitoring device released “radiation” and that it would cause him pain due to a leg injury suffered in a traffic collision.
Mrs Justice Simmons allowed Caines to be released without a device on an interim supervision order, but he was ordered to provide the court with evidence to support his claims.
The judge ordered in September that he would have to wear the device after no evidence was provided.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Sea of blue to remember Kijani
Police raid Pembroke home after gun incident
Under-fire BCB president Smith facing revolt
Casey clinches Elite Men’s crown
Wisconsin runner buys into challenge
Trimm to take part in King memorial
Being single is a blessing
Outerbridge pips Pilgrim to senior title
Lawyer under police investigation
Boat owners tell story of fire disaster
Farm to move cows after complaints of smell
Hamilton’s largest solar installation
Olympic star talks about mental illness
Bermuda scores high on CFATF review
Murder victim was ‘lured by ex-girlfriend’
Take Our Poll