Brangman quits after BCB’s universal ban
Derrick Brangman has quit cricket over a letter from the Bermuda Cricket Board to the Eastern Counties Cricket Association objecting to his selection for Bailey’s Bay in the Eastern Counties Cup first-round match against Cleveland County tomorrow.
The Board’s reaction to Brangman’s selection on Wednesday evening sparked a swift reaction from Brangman, who posted on his Facebook page at 3.38pm: “Sorry to my family, friends and fans but as of today I have retired from all cricket thanks to the Bermuda Cricket Board”.
Brangman was recently banned for one year by the BCB for refusing to walk when controversially dismissed against Western Stars.
The club’s appeal of the ban was rejected last week, but there was also an indication that the all-rounder would still be selected to play in the Eastern Counties, as the ECCA insists that the BCB has no jurisdiction over its tournament.
Somerset Cricket Club confirmed yesterday that they will honour the ban imposed on Brangman and will not be considering him for Cup Match, another 100-year-old match over which the Board allegedly has no jurisdiction.
In the recent past, players misbehaving in Cup Match or Eastern Counties have not been disciplined by the BCB. However, the Board was unhappy with the position taken by the ECCA, which informed Bay that Brangman was cleared to play on Saturday. The BCB sent an e-mail to Eddie Lamb, the Eastern Counties vice-president, yesterday morning reminding him of the suspension. Steven Douglas, the president, is off the island and due back this evening.
“I have been informed that there was a conversation about the ability of Derrick Brangman playing in the county game on Saturday for Bailey’s Bay, at an Eastern Counties meeting last night,” Lloyd Smith, the BCB president, wrote to Lamb. “I would just like to inform you that Mr Brangman is officially suspended from all cricket in Bermuda for one year.
“His club, Bailey’s Bay, has appealed the suspension and the appeal was not successful. So at this time Mr Brangman, in the eyes of the Bermuda Cricket Board is servicing his suspension. The BCB had our lawyer provide us an opinion [which I have attached] on the authority of the Board with all cricket in Bermuda ... Basically it states that we govern over all cricket in Bermuda, which includes county games and Cup Match. Since all the clubs and players that play in these competitions are members of the BCB.
“So I’m writing you in hope the Eastern Counties would do the right thing and uphold our disciplinary decision [which was done by an independent body of the board] and not allow Derrick Brangman to play in your competition.”
When contacted yesterday, Lamb acknowledged that the ECCA “will abide by any BCB suspensions provided the Board formally writes to us to inform us of Mr Brangman’s suspension”.
Lamb said the ECCA has also not officially been informed that Bay’s appeal was turned down.
“Our stance, which is not particular to Derrick Brangman’s case, is the Eastern Counties Cricket Association, in the spirit of cricket, honour any suspensions awarded by the Bermuda Cricket Board provided the BCB formally and properly writes to us to inform us of any such suspensions,” the vice-president told The Royal Gazette yesterday.
“Our stance is we’re not taking any disciplinary action based on what we read in the media or social media.”
If the ECCA accepts that Brangman cannot play tomorrow, then Bay will have to make a change to the team they selected on Wednesday evening. Brangman was the Player of the Series and Spinner of the Series after his 11 wickets last year enabled Bay to reclaim the cup from St David’s in the first round and finish the series as champions.
Yesterday, Vashun Blanchette, the new president of Somerset, confirmed that Brangman would not be considered for Cup Match this year while he is serving the suspension.
“A few members of the Cup Match selection committee had a meeting and came to the agreement that as much as we would like him to play that he is going to be ineligible for selection this year,” Blanchette said. “That position was brought before the wider management and executive of SCC and the consensus was the same in that while there are some feeling that the ban may be a bit excessive, our position is that, as stewards of Cup Match, we have to protect the integrity of Cup Match as an event.
“Somerset have long been a club, as best we can, who try to uphold a high standard of operation.
“Well before my time, but it was brought to my attention that Richard Basden [in 1988] similarly missed Cup Match having been suspended from domestic cricket and the club took the position not to make him eligible.”
New legal action on same-sex marriage
Date set for Bermudians on UK terror charges
Analyst: Arbitrade must ‘come clean’ on gold
Bus drivers agree to earlier shift start
Clarence “Tessi” Terceira (1927-2018)
Simmons calls for a ‘meeting of the minds’
Customer service key to Tuck Shop success
Take Our Poll