Bermudian held in Miami on cocaine charges
A 40-year-old Bermudian man has been arrested in Miami for an alleged attempt to smuggle 295 grams of cocaine to Bermuda stuffed down his pants.
The Southern Florida District Court said Micah Jimenez, 40, was stopped in Miami International Airport on his way to Bermuda from the Dominican Republic. Mr Jimenez is alleged to have told authorities he had agreed to transport the package because “an unknown individual had threatened his daughter’s safety”.
Court documents said that Mr Jimenez, who was travelling alone, arrived in Miami on an American Airlines flight from Santo Domingo on September 8.
Mr Jimenez was on his way to his connecting flight to Bermuda after he was cleared through US Customs.
But he was searched at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint and officers found a plastic package of white powder hidden inside his pants.
The substance, estimated to weigh 0.295kg, was tested and found to be cocaine.
Mr Jimenez, who appeared in court last Thursday, was said to have denied knowledge of the package’s contents.
The case was adjourned until next Monday.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Call to save historic Albert Row
Nurse with cancer grateful for donations
Swapping insurance for Chinese medicine
Seat sales are ineffective, say airlines
Big turnout for breast cancer awareness walk
Digital currency payments on horizon
Government boat believed to be sunk
Two sides argue over magistrate’s evidence
Lawyer relives search for family in Bahamas
Mentally ill man detained in hospital
Joint store as jewellery businesses combine
Regiment ready to help Cayman Islands
Marilyn’s writing debut
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive