No new weapons used in incidents, say police
A string of firearms incidents did not involve new weapons, police revealed yesterday.
A police spokesman said that ballistic tests had linked the weapons used in four incidents on February 3 to previous cases.
He added: “Of course, the ultimate objective is to get those firearms off the streets.
“We continue to work diligently towards achieving this through the execution of warrants based upon intelligence gathered with the assistance of you, the public.”
“The execution of these warrants and increased high-visibility patrols have also resulted in an abatement of criminal activity with only two minor incidents reported this past weekend.”
Several people suspected to have been involved in last week’s shootings have been arrested.
A total of four gun incidents took place in the space of 24 hours last week.
A 26-year-old man was shot several times near a bus stop on North Shore Road, Devonshire, between the junctions with Dock Hill and The Glebe Road, at about 2.30pm on February 3.
It is understood that the man was hit in both arms and both legs after two men on a motorcycle drove up and opened fire.
Two other firearms incidents happened in the Khyber Heights Road area of Warwick that night.
There was an earlier report of a gun being used in the Morgan’s Road area of Warwick.
Superintendent Nicholas Pedro said last Thursday that a 17-year-old boy had been arrested in connection with the Devonshire shooting.
Commissioner of Police Stephen Corbishley said the next day that three other men had been arrested in connection with the shootings, which were said to be related.
Realtors: allow guest workers to buy condos
Mexican food trailer prepares to roll
Plan to legalise cannabis use, cultivation
Dwelling together in unity
New OBA senator delivers maiden speech
Minimal interest in foreign lottery records
It really is tighten-your-belt time
Take Our Poll