Evans settlement still to be finalised
A settlement between sacked education commissioner Freddie Evans, the Governor and the Government has still to be signed off.
It was revealed on Thursday that the parties had agreed to settle for an undisclosed sum over Dr Evans’s dismissal.
Gregory Howard, who appeared for the Attorney-General, told Puisne Judge Stephen Hellman during a hearing in chambers that the agreement was expected to be signed that day.
Dr Evans’s lawyer Mark Diel, of Marshall Diel & Myers, said yesterday that the agreement had not yet been signed.
He added: “We sincerely hope it will be signed off on Monday so that my client can get on with his life.”
Dr Evans launched legal action against the Governor and the Government after he was fired from his post by John Rankin in October last year.
Mr Diel claimed Dr Evans’s sacking came too late to be valid.
He said Dr Evans could be fired by the Governor only during his probation period, which ended more than a week before Mr Rankin confirmed Dr Evans’s dismissal.
The Government was asked if any disciplinary action would be taken and if not, why not.
It was also asked what would be done to prevent a similar foul-up in the future.
There was no response by press time.
Government House declined to comment.
Schools ‘at an all-time low’
Goslings releases ‘father of all rums’
Pembroke man shot dead outside home
Phillip “Phoopa” Anderson (1960-2018)
Work-permit backlog cut down, says Caines
Pensions rise from January
BMA gets go-ahead to increase fees
New appointment at BTA
Obesity: the hidden costs
Man attacks girlfriend’s mother over parking
Storm force gusts overnight
Concert promoter puts tickets on blockchain
Frederick “Penny” Bean (1936-2018)
Young Achiever: Ethan honours family name
Ten-man X-Roads left fuming
Take Our Poll