Parents told plans for TN Tatem students
Children at a middle school plagued by mould will be taught at three different schools for the rest of the school year, parents were told last night.
The pupils in M1 and M2 at TN Tatem Middle School will begin classes at Dellwood Middle School, in Pembroke, Sandys Secondary Middle School, or the Whitney Institute Middle School, in Smith’s, beginning tomorrow.
Diallo Rabain, the Minister of Education, said after the meeting, which was not open to the media, that it had gone “very well”.
However, he added: “I would not say that all parents were pleased, but I think the main thing is that everyone understood where we are and why we are doing what we are doing.
“Of course we anticipate that there will be some teething pains with this transition ... but I do believe that we will come out of this with a better system.
“Our students will be in school, where they need to be, and they get the resources that they need to fulfil their potential.”
Dozens of TN Tatem parents attended the event at Bermuda College.
The meeting came after it was announced last Friday that the school would remain closed for the rest of the year.
The Warwick school was closed last Tuesday after a walkout by teachers and pupils over health fears.
The closure order was sparked by a letter from the Parent Teacher Student Association to education officials that highlighted “grave concerns about the health of the learning environment”.
Mr Rabain said on Friday that inspections had been carried out at the school by Titus Gordon, the Cabinet health and safety officer, the day before.
He said at the time that a report would be completed that day and released to staff at the school yesterday.
But Mr Rabian said last night that the report had not yet been finalised.
He added: “What we are waiting for is some documentation from the teachers themselves.”
Mr Rabain said that the results of the report would be released as soon as it had been completed.
Albert Wilson, the president of the TN Tatem Middle School PTSA, did not respond to requests for comment by press time last night.
But Mr Wilson said last week that he was concerned about disruption to pupils’ education.
He added: “The parents have not been a part of the conversation before these decisions were made.”
Mr Wilson also said that at least 15 people at the school — 11 teachers and four pupils — had become sick.
Kalmar Richards, the Commissioner of Education, said last week that emergency accommodations for TN Tatem pupils had been arranged.
Pupils from the M3 class were yesterday to go to Purvis Primary School in Warwick and M2 pupils were to attend Heron Bay Primary School in Southampton.
Ms Richards said that M1 pupils would be taught at Hamilton Fire Station.
A further meeting for the parents of M3 pupils is scheduled for Monday.
Kissing goodbye to 60:40
Swan says 60:40 switch doomed to failure
A reader wonders if she has Bermudian status
Kempe waves ‘adios’ to Bermuda politics
Sidestepping the elephant in the room
On-notice BTA ‘ready to learn more’
Halfway house plan to help older children
Discover the joy of singing
Income at the core of violence – Commissiong
Dog House open only on weekends
Current Vehicles adds wi-fi to Twizy fleet
Taking time out for your daughter
Lewis’ different message to Bermuda’s youth
George Duclos (1933-2020)
Approvals received for bank sale
Take Our Poll