Childcare services to expand
Childcare services for essential workers are to be expanded.
Diallo Rabain, the Minister of Education, said the service, launched last Wednesday, was expected to grow to meet demand.
Mr Rabain added: “There is only one site operational at this point at the Sammy Wilson Central Zone Community Centre on Angle Street.
“Another location will be opened as demand from our essential care service workers increases.”
Mr Rabain said that strict rules had been enforced to ensure social distancing at the Angle Street centre and three custodians ensured the building remained clean and was regularly disinfected.
He added: “The child care programme this week will be activity-based as children continue to be on an extended spring break.
“Next week, the programme will be structured with academic work during the mornings and activities in the afternoon.
“The Department of Education will have education officers on-site during the mornings of next week to support children with their school work.”
Mr Rabain said that he had been told some essential workers did not drop off their children yesterday because of confusion over the terms of the shelter in place order.
He added: “I want to emphasise that the childcare services are there specifically for the children of all our service workers, and they can drop them off for care from 7.30am.”
Disgraced ministers quit Cabinet
Caines regrets ‘significant distraction’
Island opportunity as wealthy flee cities
It has come to this: no more party favours
Two positive virus tests off Atlanta flight
Senior, 95, survives coronavirus
DeSilva: ‘I paid the price’ for party error
Take Our Poll