Education minister's statement
Public school remote learning returns
Public school pupils will restart remote learning on Monday, the Minister of Education said.
Diallo Rabain explained that senior schools would continue to instruct pupils on “essential curriculum for each of the courses students are currently taking”.
He added: “Preschools, primary and middle schools will focus learning activities on content and skills that have already been taught.”
Mr Rabain said that focus for the three levels would be “academics, physical activity and student wellbeing”.
He added that parents would be given details on what principals expected of pupils today.
Mr Rabain said print copies of learning materials would be provided for pupils without access to the internet.
He said that the Covid-19 lockdown had meant that notification to parents of enrolment decisions for pupils due to start primary, middle and senior schools in the autumn had been delayed.
He added that parents would be notified of decisions electronically rather than by letter. Mr Rabain said that parents of primary pupils would receive an e-mail on May 5 and parents of middle schoolchildren would be advised of decisions through PowerSchool on May 12.
Parents of senior school pupils would be informed on May 7, also through PowerSchool. Mr Rabain said that middle and senior school pupils who were to sit Cambridge IGCSEs and A-level exams in June would “still be positioned to have grades awarded for work completed in these courses”.
He added that principals and teachers had discussed the possibility of changes to graduation requirements with the ministry.
Mr Rabain said that a decision on the recommendations would be passed to pupils and parents by the end of next week.
He added that the deadlines for Ministry of Education scholarships had been extended until May 7. Mr Rabain said that work was also under way to make the awards application process easier for pupils.
He added that a survey was to be conducted of scholarship applicants to find out how the Covid-19 crisis had affected their studies, and will “help to better support applicants and eventual scholarship recipients”.
He said 61 survey responses had already been received.
• To read the education minister’s statement in full, click on the PDF link under “Related Media”
Covid-19: Air passenger breaks health rules
Air Canada flight arrives
Injured soldier ‘out of surgery’
Businesses left reeling by loss of Cup Match
Cousins charged over checkpoint crash
BPSU agrees to pay cut
Dismont departs Family Centre with a warning
‘It’s just not going to be the same’
Take Our Poll