A rat solution that’s the Finnish article
There may be an answer to the rats and garbage problem, but it will require some modification of our behaviour.
I saw a garbage collection system in France several years ago and was impressed enough to find out about the manufacturer.
The company is called MOLOK, a Finnish company.
If you Google MOLOK, you’ll find the link.
It’s difficult to explain the system with a limited amount of space, so I encourage readers to go to the website.
I have been in touch with the company and have sent details to the Department of Works and Engineering.
I mentioned changing our behaviour: the system requires that residents take their garbage to large, ratproof, underground containers that are a limited distance from their homes.
This may be the biggest challenge, but the benefits are significant:
• Collection efficiency is dramatically improved
• Residents can drop off trash any time
• The containers are ratproof
• The staffing problem would be solved by the collection efficiency
• The system can be introduced as a trial in a particular area before a full, island-wide roll out.
I encourage the Department of Works and Engineering to carry out a detailed study of the system.
Take Our Poll
- "What is the most significant reason for Bermuda residents choosing to leave the island?"
- Too small
- Different way of life
- Cost of living
- Gang activity and general crime
- Jobs/professional advancement
- Attitudes towards gays
- Total Votes: 5235
- Poll Archive