Regiment man arrested over alleged sex assault

Make text smaller Make text larger


An alleged sex assault on a woman soldier at the Royal Bermuda Regiment’s recruit camp is under investigation, police said yesterday.

A police spokesman confirmed: “A female soldier was reported to have been assaulted by a male soldier.”

He said that a man had been arrested in connection with the alleged attack.

The spokesman added: “He was later released on police bail while the investigation continues.”

An RBR spokesman said that a “serious” incident had been reported by a soldier.

Major Duncan Simons said the alleged incident took place at Warwick Camp on Saturday evening.

Major Simons declined to confirm the nature of the complaint.

He said: “We’re not in a position to categorise what it is. It was just our view that it was serious enough to warrant police involvement.”

Major Simons said the complaint was made last Sunday morning.

He added that police were contacted “immediately”.

Major Simons said: “For us, if there is the potential that something is a criminal offence, we refer it to the police service.”

Major Simons added: “Pending the results of that investigation, we will conduct our own investigation.

“We are an open and transparent organisation and we demand the highest standard of conduct at every level.

“The RBR takes complaints from our soldiers very seriously and we are co-operating fully with the police inquiry.”

The two-week camp began on January 14 and runs until Sunday.

On occasion The Royal Gazette may decide to not allow comments on what we consider to be a controversial or contentious story. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

  • Take Our Poll

    Today's Obituaries

    eMoo Posts