Digicel employee under police investigation
An employee at telecoms firm Digicel who is under police investigation will stay off work until inquiries are complete, it was revealed yesterday.
The company yesterday said it took allegations of “wrongdoing or inappropriate behaviour” extremely seriously and would assist with the police inquiry.
A spokeswoman for Digicel, incorporated in Bermuda but based in Jamaica, added that the firm would also defend its reputation “vigorously”.
She said: “With an incident allegedly involving a staff member in Bermuda currently being investigated by the police, we are unable to provide comment at this time since this is a live investigation.
“For clarity, however, the staff member involved is away from the office until such time as the investigation has been concluded and Digicel is, of course, assisting the police fully as it carries out its investigations and we are guided by them.”
The spokeswoman added: “As a good corporate citizen and a family brand, we take any instances of, or indeed allegations of, wrongdoing or inappropriate behaviour by our staff members extremely seriously.
“Likewise, we take any accusations against Digicel of any wrongdoing extremely seriously and are prepared to defend our good reputation vigorously.
“To be clear, we strongly refute any allegations of wrongdoing against us.”
The spokeswoman said updates would be provided “as appropriate”.
Police did not respond to a request for comment.
• On occasion The Royal Gazette may decide to not allow comments on what we consider to be a controversial or contentious story. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Take Our Poll
- "What are your views on anonymous online commenting (trolling)?"
- Helpful to our democracy and needs to continue
- Hurtful to our democracy and needs to end
- Limits the number of people willing to give public service
- An important tool for political parties
- Total Votes: 4508
- Poll Archive