Festive advice from fire service
The men and women of the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind the public that the winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together; but that also means a greater risk for fire. Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season.
- Be careful with Holiday Decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection. Use surge protectors or power strips that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Blow out candles and turn off all light strings before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three (3) feet away from heating equipment like the fireplace and space heater.
- Use space heating equipment in accordance to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remember to turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Make sure that the fire place has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them into a metal container.
- To prevent cooking fires, you must be alert. You will not be alert if you are sleepy, have consumed alcohol, or have taken medicine or drugs that make you drowsy.
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. Turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly and stay in the home. Use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keeping Things That Can Catch Fire Away from Heat Sources
- Keep anything that can catch fire–oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, curtains–away from your stovetop.
- Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, space heaters, candles, or lights.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
- Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor
or outdoor use.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Keep pets away from Christmas trees and decorations
- Get rid of the tree after Christmas or when it is dry. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left in the home.
• Press release from the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service
Teens and porn warning issued
Government mulls new taxes before Budget day
‘Uzimon’ lands role in The Punisher
Man charged with sexual assault makes bail
Road crash pair bailed
Elderly man hit by reversing car
Privy Council rules in favour of CoH
Take Our Poll
- "Your new year's resolutions for 2019"
- Quit smoking
- Quit drinking/drink in moderation
- Do not drink and drive
- Lose weight
- Stop procrastinating
- Drive with greater care
- Total Votes: 2607
- Poll Archive