Twelve new police officers welcomed
At 4pm Friday, March 15, the Passing Out Parade for Recruit Foundation Course 79 took place at Police Headquarters in Prospect, Devonshire.
In attendance at the ceremony were several dignitaries including:
• His Excellency, The Governor, Mr. John Rankin CMG
• Minister of National Security the Hon. Wayne M. Caines JP MP
• United States Consul General, Mrs. Constance M. Dierman
• Permanent Secretary for National Security, Mr. Collingwood Anderson
• Commanding Officer of the Royal Bermuda Regiment, Lt. Col. David Curley ED
• Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr. Larry D. Mussenden
• Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Lloyd Burchall, Bermuda Fire & Rescue Service
• Acting Commissioner of Corrections, Ms. Keeva Joell-Benjamin
• Police Complaints Authority chairman, Mr. Jeffrey Elkinson
• Commandant of the Bermuda Reserve Police, Ms. Sandra Beach
• Police Chaplain, Reverend Dr. Kevin Santucci
• Ms. Verna Perinchief and Ms. Erica Smith (on behalf of the Freeman family)
Twelve Constables were on parade, accompanied by the Bermuda Island Pipe Band under the command of Pipe Sergeant Aidan Stones.
They were led by the Parade Commander and Drill Instructor Sergeant Derrick Golding.
The newest members of the Bermuda Police Service are:
• Constable 2535 Wanay Bartley
• Constable 2536 Anthony Fernandes
• Constable 2537 Noah Harvey
• Constable 2538 Justin Hunt
• Constable 2539 Daniel Sanna
• Constable 2540 Ryan Saraiva
• Constable 2541 Thomas Simons
• Constable 2542 William Simpson
• Constable 2543 Kayla Smith
• Constable 2544 Ryan Swan
• Constable 2545 Kieran Swann
• Constable 2546 Marcus Uddin
There were several awards presented during the ceremony. The awards and recipients were:
Athletic Awards — The Instructors Cup is an award that is given to the fastest male and female officer over the International 10 kilometre or 6 mile Flatts road running course.
• The Instructors Cup was presented to Constable Kayla Smith for the fastest time of 59 minutes and 10 seconds in the female category.
• The Instructors Cup was presented to Constable Ryan Swan for the fastest time of 44 minutes and 52 seconds in the male category.
All Around Athlete & Physical Fitness Awards
• Constable Wanay Bartley (female).
• Constable Ryan Swan (male).
Deputy Commissioner’s Cup — This award is for the best effort on the course and the officer who has made the most significant progress.
• Awarded to Constable Anthony Fernandes.
Charitable Presentation — It is a tradition of each Recruit Foundation Course to raise money in aid of a charity of their choice.
All members of RFC 79 decided that the Freeman family would be this year’s recipient — to assist with the medical care of baby Iziah Freeman.
Baby Iziah has been diagnosed with the rare Costello Syndrome and both his parents are serving members of the Bermuda Police Service.
A cheque for $1,400 was presented to Ms. Verna Perinchief and Ms. Erica Smith. The money was raised during a carwash held by RFC 79.
Academic Award — Awarded to Constable Kayla Smith, who achieved an overall test average of 95.16 per cent over 19 exams.
Commissioner’s Shield — Awarded to Red Syndicate led by Sergeant Derrick Golding; consisting of Constable Ryan Saraiva, Constable Noah Harvey, Constable Daniel Sanna, Constable Kayla Smith, Constable Ryan Swan and Constable Marcus Uddin.
The award was collected by Constable Ryan Saraiva.
Baton of Honour — Awarded to Constable Ryan Swan, who was selected as the most distinguished student officer by the Training Centre staff.
On behalf of the Commissioner of Police Mr. Stephen Corbishley, the men and women of the Bermuda Police Service would like to congratulate and welcome these 12 new officers into the Bermuda Police Service family.
Burt lashes out after Butterfield job losses
Mothers decry children riding motorcycles
A model experience
Three hurt in Harbour Road crash
Licensed venues questioned on event flyers
Customers bemused to find Rosebank closed
Inmate says Wolffe confessed to robbery
‘Giant who is gone too soon’
Lawyers clash over Brown patient files
Parents ‘could strike’ over TN Tatem plan
Robbins stars as robot on Netflix
Docksider bar beefs up security
Unlicensed drink-driver nabbed back-to-back
Pancakes and pyjamas for breakfast
App to show electric vehicle renters around
Take Our Poll