No comment on civil servant’s status
The Government has refused to say if it has suspended a civil servant accused of an assault on a 17-year-old girl when she refused to board a flight to the United States.
The worker is alleged in an official document seen by The Royal Gazette to have assaulted the child at LF Wade International Airport on May 8.
Police confirmed that a complaint had been made in connection with the alleged incident and the matter was under investigation.
A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Legal Affairs refused to comment on whether the civil servant had been suspended. She said: “The ministry will not be forwarding any comment.”
Derrick Binns, Head of the Civil Service, did not respond to a request for comment.
The teenager did not have legal representation at the time of the incident, but she is now represented by Saul Dismont, a lawyer at Marshall, Diel&Myers.
MDM said in a letter on May 12 that it understood the that the assault was alleged to have happened “when our client complained that she did not want to be sent to a secure treatment facility in the US, which is where she was being sent”.
Mr Dismont said yesterday he was unable to comment further.
• On occasion The Royal Gazette may decide to not allow comments on what we consider to be a controversial or contentious story. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Covid-19 testing an issue in US
Argus buy-up a ‘huge conflict’
‘Filthy beast’ recalls unusual childhood
Offers made for parts of AS Cooper
No excuse for that headline
Businessman has bright idea for cleaner air
Take Our Poll