Brown investigation approaching $5m in costs
Nearly $5 million has been spent on investigations into Ewart Brown, a former premier.
The figures were revealed in the House of Assembly by Wayne Caines, the Minister of National Security, in response to questions from Derrick Burgess, the Deputy Speaker.
More details on the legal costs, the firms used and legal fees associated with a lawsuit against Lahey Clinic, which was linked to the investigation, will have to wait for next week, because time ran out for the question period in the House.
Police launched investigations in 2011 after allegations of corruption against Dr Brown.
A civil lawsuit was also filed by the Government against Lahey that accused Dr Brown of profiting from unneeded diagnostic tests at his medical practices. The allegations have been denied by Dr Brown and he has not been charged with any offence.
MPs yesterday heard some of the breakdown in costs for the investigation.
• For man hours in Bermuda and overseas: $4,688,184
• For airline and ground transportation: $64,445
• For accommodation in Bermuda and overseas: $80,000
Dr Brown declined to comment yesterday on the investigation, which he has branded a political witch-hunt.
Michael Scott, a Progressive Labour Party backbencher, delivered the questions in the absence of Mr Burgess, who is overseas on government business.
Mr Scott protested after time ran out and said there was “extreme public interest” at stake.
He asked Dennis Lister, the Speaker of the House, to suspend the rules and allow questions to continue. He was advised to request that his questions would be deferred until the next sitting of the House.
• On occasion The Royal Gazette may decide to not allow comments on what we consider to be a controversial or contentious story. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Caines petitions UK over Bermuda passports
Bermuda denied in gut-wrenching finish
Duffy wins in Beijing
Smith-DeShields picks his spot for Rams
Bascome in a stew over no-ball call
Clemons strikes twice for Bodens
Alert raised for missing senior
Rawlins picked up by Brave in Hundred draft
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive