End of the road for Longbird Bridge
The lifeline of Longbird Bridge, at the eastern end of the Causeway linking St Georgeís and the airport to The Main, is finally on its way out.
The twin-carriageway bridge has gradually succumbed to the elements ó and was shut to traffic 12 years ago, with twin Bailey bridges built alongside it.
Longbird Bridge was constructed in 1953 by the US Army Corps of Engineers, and maintained by the US Navy from its takeover of the US military base in 1970 until 1998, when it was turned over to Bermuda.
It was originally a moveable bridge to allow high vessels through, but has been degraded by salt-water corrosion and storms.
The structure received a little extra time in 2001, with an electrical and mechanical upgrade, but is now at the end of its life.
The passage is closed to marine traffic until the removal is completed in April.
Health staff to call on vulnerable seniors
Caines: Nine alleged quarantine breaches
Covid-19 Saturday update: five more cases
Brave Davon stares down his fear as a nurse
Trucker pitches in to collect trash
Unwise to adopt false sense of security
Nothing short of financial madness
Golf courses targeted amid Covid-19 concerns
Take Our Poll