David Burt Aug 6
Decrease in estimated Covid-19 deaths
The worst-case model for a year of Covid-19 was updated last night — with lower numbers of deaths than estimated at the start of the pandemic.
Kim Wilson, the health minister, said the new model suggested, at worst, a possible 1,600 in hospital and 264 deaths during the course of a year.
A best-case scenario projected 100 in hospital and 15 deaths.
But Ms Wilson warned that models only produced estimates, not predictions, and were used for planning purposes. The island’s coronavirus death toll stands at nine.
Earlier models, released in April, put the worst-case death toll at 718 with a best-case scenario of 263 deaths.
The revised model was released as Ms Wilson revealed there were no new cases of Covid-19 out of 655 test results received yesterday.
The total number of confirmed cases remains at 157 and four people are being monitored by public health officials, but none are in hospital.
David Burt, the Premier, revealed that Britain’s conflict stability and security fund would send a final shipment of personal protective equipment supplies to the island.
He said the additional delivery would bring the value of the PPE delivered by the fund to $1.3 million.
Mr Burt said the island’s successful management of the pandemic had sparked interest from people overseas in working remotely from the island.
He said the one-year residential certificate for overseas workers to shelter in Bermuda from the virus featured in the international press.
The Premier added that remote workers and digital nomads could start arriving in Bermuda as early as next week.
Mr Burt said: “This success has only been possible with the support of everyone in Bermuda.”
He admitted there were concerns about the reopening of the airport last month but emphasised the benefits.
A total of 1,725 visitors and residents came through the airport in July, generating $6 million in visitor spending and allowing 919 people to return to tourism-related jobs.
The island also welcomed its first superyacht charter this week.
Mr Burt praised the island’s testing regime and said that travel authorisation fees for air arrivals had brought in about $250,000 to offset the cost of tests last month.
He added: “It’s important to note that we are confident our testing regime we have set up will continue to protect the country.”
Mr Burt said: “As bad as the situation is in the US, I think they have realised finally that the wearing of masks is a good idea.”
He added that the public schools would open to staff on September 1 and to pupils on September 9.
Mr Burt said strict health precautions would be enforced, including three-foot social-distancing and Plexiglas barriers where possible.
• To view statements from the Premier, Minister of Health, minister of National Security and Minister of Labour, click on the PDF links under “Related Media”
Teddy: prepare for tropical-storm winds
FDM could be left out of debate
BLDC mourns employee
Police: ‘serious’ crash in Smith’s
Young voices determined to be heard
Putting the establishment on notice
New book on island’s religious past
Take Our Poll