Building up a head of STEAM
Secondary students took part in various activities and projects during the second annual STEAM Week at the end of term; each one encouraging students to seek new solutions to complex problems through the five components of STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math.
There were over a dozen experiences to choose from; hands-on projects requiring students to plan, create, problem-solve and build.
The skills and knowledge acquired in each of these disciplines are essential in today’s world, and BHS is actively promoting the disciplines of STEAM in their curriculum throughout the school.
STEAM education creates critical and creative thinkers, increases science literacy, and enables the next generation of innovators.
List of activities:
• EcoArt — explore environmentally friendly art
• CSI Bermuda — solve a “crime” looking at various clues
• STEAM Documentary — create a documentary on STEAM Week 2016
• Brain Games — design a fun and educational game
• Living with the Ocean — in conjunction with BUEI and BAMZ, learn how to sustainably enjoy the ocean
• Ocean Health — working with BIOS, Greenrock and KBB, students will learn about ocean pollution worldwide and its effect on Bermuda
• Paint the Sloop — design and paint a resin sloop to be auctioned off by Masterworks
• Scrap Heap Challenge — engineer a green, free cooking apparatus
• EV3 Challenge — construct a robot
• Design, Paint and Build a Boat — using the school’s 3D printer, design to create a model boat and then build a real boat to transport a team member across Shelly Bay
• Oceana Jewellery Making — consult and design with Alexandra Mosher and Rebecca Little to create and market a three-piece line of jewellery
• Biodiversity Photo Project — discover and photograph how much life can be found in one cubic foot
• University of Ontario Institute of Technology — students spend five days at UOIT and will build robots, geocache around campus, solve a crime scene scenario and design boats which they will test in a wind tunnel.
Take Our Poll