Cabinet now has final Airport master development plan

Make text smaller Make text larger

A million dollars has been spent on a master plan for the development of Bermuda International Airport over the next 20 years.

The plan, which has been presented to Cabinet but not yet made public, contains recommendations on how facilities such as the runways and terminal buildings should be updated.

According to Premier Ewart Brown, it needed an additional $450,000 to finance it on top of the original $625,000 budgeted.


A million dollars has been spent on a master plan for the development of Bermuda International Airport over the next 20 years.

The plan, which has been presented to Cabinet but not yet made public, contains recommendations on how facilities such as the runways and terminal buildings should be updated.

According to Premier Ewart Brown, it needed an additional $450,000 to finance it on top of the original $625,000 budgeted.

This overspend was listed as a “supplementary” amount by Government and discussed in Friday night’s budget debate.

Dr. Brown gave brief details about the work, explaining that the world-renowned US company HNTB had been contracted to produce the plan.

According to a press release on that company’s website from June 2005: “Critical future investment decisions for Bermuda International Airport will be guided by a new airport master plan being undertaken by HNTB Corporation.

“HNTB has received word that it has been retained by the Bermuda Government’s Ministry of Transportation & Tourism to lead the development of the master plan, which will provide a long-term strategic vision for the Airport.

“A key area of focus in the year-long planning effort will be a dual-track terminal evaluation to recommend whether Bermuda should expand its passenger terminal on its existing site or construct a new terminal.

“Other areas of emphasis are airfield improvements, Airport access and on-Airport land use planning for lands vacated by the US Navy.”

During the debate in House, Leader of the Opposition Wayne Furbert asked the Premier if a contract had been drawn up for HNTB to do a certain amount of work for the $625,000 budget — and if so, what additional work was done for the $450,000 additional sum. Dr. Brown replied that the company had done “the initial project” but that Government then wanted to expand upon this “to the tune of the amount we are requesting to expand the master plan.”

He indicated there would be no further information available during the debate, telling the House: “That’s all I have this evening”.

Asked for details on the plan, Airport General Manager James Howes said work began in 2005 and continued last year.

However, he said that because the plan had gone to Cabinet, he was not at liberty to comment on what was suggested in terms of expanding the current terminal or building a new one.

Asked about the overspend, Mr. Howes said funding had been budgeted for in 2005 but not 2006 and the plan “took a little bit longer than originally planned”.

It is anticipated the document will eventually be tabled in the House of Assembly.

Take Our Poll

  • Do you believe the SAGE Commission will ultimately prove to have been a waste of time and money?
  • Yes
  • 50%
  • No
  • 41%
  • Don't know
  • 9%
  • Total Votes: 1608
  • Poll Archive

Today's Obituaries

View all Obituaries Place an obituary

Facebook Activity