Liquidators cut asking price for British American Building

Make text smaller Make text larger

  • Asking price cut: The British American Building on Front Street, yours for $1.95 million

    Asking price cut: The British American Building on Front Street, yours for $1.95 million


The asking price for the British American Building on Front Street has been cut to $1.95 million.

Earlier this year the distinctive blue building was listed with agents Coldwell Banker for $2.7 million, down from $3.6 million early last year.

The building was home to the British American Insurance Company (BAICO), which was wound up after its 2009 collapse. The drop in asking price means the final distribution to be divided among creditors or policyholders still awaiting a final cheque will be less than hoped.

In a statement sent out last night, KPMG Advisory Ltd, agents to the Official Receiver, said: “Creditors should be aware that it remains the objective of the Official Receiver to execute a sale as soon as possible, and that notwithstanding the significant reduction in price aimed at attracting a buyer, no one has yet been identified with the ability to finance the building’s purchase.

“As such, in order to assist those purchasers who are finding it difficult to obtain financing in the prevailing economic environment, the Official Receiver has further reduced the asking price to $1.95 million.”

BAICO owns 40 percent of the building with the other 60 percent belonging to the BAICO Bermuda pension scheme.

There are approximately 3,800 BAICO policyholders and 6,000 policies.

Policyholders or creditors can obtain further information with regard to British American at www.kpmg.bm/ba or by contacting KPMG Advisory Ltd at infoba@kpmg.bm or by calling the British American hotline on 294-2651.

You must be registered or signed-in to post comment or to vote.

Published Oct 10, 2012 at 8:00 am (Updated Oct 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm)

Liquidators cut asking price for British American Building

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon

Take Our Poll

  • Which of the following best describes your opinion on how Senior Civil Servant job positions should be granted?
  • Senior civil servants should be appointed on a temporary contract renewable basis.
  • 74%
  • Senior civil servants should continue to be appointed on a permanent basis
  • 18%
  • Don't Know
  • 8%
  • Total Votes: 2155
  • Poll Archive

Today's Obituaries

View all Obituaries Place an obituary

Facebook Activity