BTA outlines investment’ plan
Bermuda Tourism Authority (BTA) will now make decisions which previously had been made by the Bermuda Department of Tourism as they continue their efforts to revive the industry.
The BTA announced yesterday they would further explore what they believe are the experiences that enhance the overall tourism product and raise awareness of Bermuda as a tourist destination.
There are, said the BTA, two major classifications of investment — Tourism Experiences and Tourism Product Enhancement.
“A Bermuda Tourism Experience is defined as a journey that visitors embark on that connects part of them to Bermuda, creates memories they will take away with them and that will encourage them to return,” read a BTA statement.
There are four categories in which funding can be provided, said the BTA:
1) Experiences only — on-Island attractions or activities.
2) Events — those that bring visitors to the Island or increase awareness.
3) Media programmes — those that connect Bermuda internationally to the Island’s prime markets through media exposure.
4) Tourism Industry Services — provided by hotels and restaurants, travel agencies and tour operator services, tourist guides and other related services.
Investment from the BTA, said the Authority, was more likely if the proposed experience included any of the following elements:
• Unique experiences that connect visitors with the beauty of life that Bermuda has to offer.
• Attracts visitors to the Island travelling specifically for the experience.
• The experience or event includes a celebrity, sporting personality or prize-winning artist who in their own right are likely to attract media attention.
• The experience or event will likely cause an increase in the visitors’ length of stay and/or daily spend.
• Has multiple sources of funding.
• Has a provision of matching funds.
• The application is accompanied by a viable business plan.
• Is a unique experience, it cannot be found anywhere else in Bermuda or even internationally.
• Has wide support evidenced by letters.
• Is an experience that is in alignment with the Bermuda National Tourism Plan.
BTA chairman David Dodwell said: “Our intent with this new process is to ensure our investment helps us to meet the tourism goals for the upcoming year, to guide experiences in the right direction and to ensure alignment with the National Tourism Plan.
“Priority for funding will be awarded to experience organisers who bring a substantial amount of international visitors to the Island, increase awareness of Bermuda to our defined markets and/or increase visitor spend.
“We welcome applications and hope that our new investment guidelines will encourage people to develop new experiences for our visitors.”
An Experience Workshop will be held on January 30 and 31 and “it is highly recommended that anyone seeking investment support from Bermuda Tourism for experiences or events register,” continued the BTA statement.
“The purpose of the workshop is to present the new process and to assist applicants in applying for support. The workshop will explain the new application forms and the information required, as well as the timing of review and response. Applicants should use the workshop as a resource to add value to their business plan. Application forms and more information is available at http://bermudatourism.com/forms.”
Details on the investment/support of the “Product Enhancement” programme will be announced at a later date.
Gay couple planning to leave Bermuda
Slain Connie remembered 40 years on
Man taken to hospital after morning crash
Living the dream
Senators row over medical scan fee cuts
ICO legislation set to be tabled next month
Bermudian student killed in Britain
Cole proves quite the island ambassador
Green space created in heart of the City
Arrests over murder of marathon winner
Tourist named after death in St George’s
Court, police station evacuated after alarm
Take Our Poll