DNA evidence given in Steede murder trial
One of five teens accused in the murder of Bermudian Lyrico Steede has been linked to a mobile phone left in a taxi on the night of his attack, Nottingham Crown Court heard yesterday.
Mr Steede, 17, died in hospital on February 21 after being repeatedly stabbed on the night of February 13.
The jury was told that DNA evidence retrieved from the phone had a one in a billion link to one of the accused, who is too young to be identified.
Kasharn Campbell, 19, of no fixed abode, and Remmell Campbell-Miller, 18, from Sneinton Boulevard in Nottingham, are charged with the murder, along with two 17-year-old boys and a 16-year-old girl, none of whom can be named for legal reasons.
According to the Nottingham Post, cab driver Thomas Yeboah testified that he had driven three young men from Bulwell, where the stabbing occurred earlier that night.
The trio asked to go to Sneinton, a suburb of Nottingham, but ran off without paying the fare.
The cabby said he had discovered the phone in the back, and kept it until police got in touch.
A DNA trace left on a fingerprint was linked to one of the 17-year-old accused.
Further tests showed that others had handled the phone, including “two unknown people”.
The trial continues.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Caines petitions UK over Bermuda passports
Bermuda denied in gut-wrenching finish
Duffy wins in Beijing
Smith-DeShields picks his spot for Rams
Bascome in a stew over no-ball call
Clemons strikes twice for Bodens
Alert raised for missing senior
Rawlins picked up by Brave in Hundred draft
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive