Murder trial jury shown CCTV footage of man

  • The scene after the fatal shooting on One Way Deepdale in Pembroke in November 2017 (File photograph)

    The scene after the fatal shooting on One Way Deepdale in Pembroke in November 2017 (File photograph)

The trial of a man accused of a gun murder was shown CCTV footage said in court to show his movements around North Hamilton on the night of the killing.

Kiari Tucker, 22, charged with the murder of Morlan Steede, was said to have been tracked by the police and private CCTV networks.

He is further charged with using a firearm to commit an indictable offence.

Mr Tucker has pleaded not guilty to both charges.

Susan Mulligan, for the defence, questioned how accurately Mr Tucker, 22, could be identified from police and security videos.

Detective Constable Christopher Sabean showed clips taken on the night of November 3, 2017, when Mr Steede was chased by a gunman through the Deepdale neighbourhood in Pembroke, and shot three times at about 9.40pm.

Mr Tucker, from Warwick, was shown on Court Street with a group of friends earlier that night, as well as inside the Spinning Wheel club and walking on Court Street after the shooting.

The court was told that a figure seen on CCTV during the half-hour leading up to the murder that covered Deepdale was the alleged suspect.

Ms Mulligan cast doubt on identifying the accused by his clothes, such as his trousers, and told Mr Sabean he had “probably seen a lot of young men wearing Adidas track pants”.

Mr Sabean maintained that a figure caught on camera walking up Two Way Deepdale at 9.14pm, parallel to One Way Deepdale where the victim was chased, was the alleged killer.

Footage from minutes after the shooting showed bystanders on Parsons Road, where Mr Steede collapsed.

The jury heard that the police cameras were monitored and could be zoomed in to concentrate on scenes of interest.

Mr Sabean agreed with Ms Mulligan that one of the onlookers “seemed to be running from the area with a helmet on”.

Footage was taken from several cameras in the Hamilton and Pembroke areas.

The jury heard Mr Tucker was arrested the day after the shooting when firearms officers descended on an apartment in Warwick.

Police Constable Che Young said he and other officers were sent to Mr Tucker’s last known address, on the parish’s Tribe Road No 1.

The court heard that members of his family and his godmother occupied apartments next door to each other.

Officers went into the home of the defendant’s godmother, Jahnika Young, but no one appeared to be at home.

Mr Young said he found the defendant concealed under a pile of clothes hidden in a bedroom.

Sergeant Minton Gilbert, who was also at the scene, said he helped as other officers handcuffed Mr Tucker.

Detective Constable Jeffrey Blair told the court he had taken a mobile phone from Mr Tucker’s godmother’s apartment.

He said he later visited Monique Tucker, mother of the defendant, and his grandmother, Marilyn Franklin at the neighbouring apartment.

Mr Blair said he was directed by them to a bedroom and he took more than a dozen pieces of men’s clothing piled on a bed.

He told Ms Mulligan the officers had “known what we were looking for” and took away only the items they were instructed to remove.

The trial continues.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

  • Take Our Poll

    Today's Obituaries

    eMoo Posts