Bermudian-born pair deny terrorism charges
A trial continued this week in Britain for two Bermudian-born men who have denied charges of terrorism.
Hisham Muhammad, 25, is accused of plotting to use a radio-controlled drone to attack an army barracks.
His cousin, Faisal Ahmad, 24, is charged with failing to notify authorities of the scheme.
They were caught by police in June 2018 after a raid on their apartment in Whitefield in Bury, Greater Manchester.
The sting allegedly revealed equipment for an attack on the Castle Armoury Barracks in Bury, as well as for knife attacks.
The BBC reported this week that a makeshift drone attachment found in the flat, and shown to the jury at the Old Bailey in London, included “lollipop sticks attached to an electrical component with black tape and various wires”.
A military aircraft specialist that “significant” research had gone into methods for equipping the aircraft to drop items ranging from a bomb or pyrotechnic.
But Bernard Richmond QC, who represents Mr Muhammad, argued that it was not necessarily harmful, noting that drones for children could drop toy parachutes.
The trial continues.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
‘Deplorable conditions’ at housing complex
Burt to ditch traditional Throne Speech
Local businesses teed up for PGA event
Maiden Re plans move from Bermuda to US
International criminals ‘targeting Bermuda’
D’ezir dressed for success
Man had $170,000 of cannabis in his home
Dowling admits he did not follow rules
Lawyer may face six more assault charges
Tokunbo cleared over breath test
Busy time for tree surgeon after hurricane
An independent take on independence
Teachers hold elections for union roles
Man charged with firearms offences
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive