Man in fatal crash admits to drinking
A man who was involved in a fatal collision admitted that he had been drinking alcoholbeforehand.
Khyle Beckett, 32, pleaded guilty to impaired driving last Wednesday in Magistrates’ Court.
The court heard that Beckett, from Paget, was driving a water truck along North Shore Road in Devonshire when he stopped at a roundabout on Barker’s Hill.
The defendant allowed traffic clear on the roundabout before he signalled and made a right turn to go up Barker’s Hill.
But as he turned a motorcyclist, 49-year-old Marco Bowen, collided with the right side of the water truck.
The accident occurred at 5.30pm in rush-hour traffic. Mr Bowen was taken to hospital, but later pronounced dead.
When police arrived, Beckett admitted that he had consumed alcohol beforehand, and was arrested. A breath test at the Hamilton Police Station revealed that Beckett had 96 milligrams of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80mg/100ml. The incident took place on October 9 last year.
Magistrate Tyrone Chin fined Beckett $1,500 and banned him from the roads for 18 months. The court did not hear any reference to the crash having been fatal.
The Department of Public Prosecutions did not respond to a request for comment.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
‘Deplorable conditions’ at housing complex
Burt to ditch traditional Throne Speech
Local businesses teed up for PGA event
Maiden Re plans move from Bermuda to US
International criminals ‘targeting Bermuda’
D’ezir dressed for success
Man had $170,000 of cannabis in his home
Dowling admits he did not follow rules
Lawyer may face six more assault charges
Tokunbo cleared over breath test
Busy time for tree surgeon after hurricane
An independent take on independence
Teachers hold elections for union roles
Man charged with firearms offences
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive