Burglar jailed for two years
A burglar who stole more than $100,000 worth of valuables was jailed for two years yesterday.
Vincent Burch, 44, pleaded guilty to the theft of more than $60,000 worth of goods from a Warwick property and $40,000 worth of goods from a home in Smith’s.
Magistrates’ Court heard that about $10,000 worth of the goods had been recovered after police found some of the stolen items at Burch’s Devonshire home.
Crown prosecutor Jaleesa Simons said that the value of several items, which included jewellery, could not be verified.
Ms Simons was speaking after senior magistrate Juan Wolffe instructed the Crown on January 31 to confirm the value of the stolen times so that Burch could be properly sentenced.
Burch, from Devonshire, admitted the burglaries at the January hearing.
Mr Wolffe heard that Burch broke into the house in Smith’s on January 22 and stole a safe.
He also raided a Warwick home on December 17 last year and broke into another safe.
A man hired to do work on the home saw Burch leave the house with two knapsacks.
The worker chased after him but Burch escaped, so he contacted police.
Police later found a motorcycle that Burch had been spotted riding earlier that day and contacted the owner, who said that he had lent it to him.
Burch was arrested on January 28 and admitted both burglaries.
He added that he had taken the safe stolen from Smith’s to South Shore so he could take what he thought he could sell and dumped the rest into the sea.
Burch said he had traded some of the stolen jewellery for half a gram of heroin.
Mr Wolffe heard yesterday that Burch would require drug treatment services but did not qualify for Drug Treatment Court.
He sentenced Burch to two years imprisonment with time in custody to be taken into consideration.
Mr Wolffe also recommended that Burch should take part in the prison service’s Right Living treatment programme while in jail.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
MPs’ Blu party under investigation
Third US arrival tests positive for virus
Starwood rejects Caroline Bay funding claim
Covid-19: cases are pandemic “wake-up call”
More flights on the way from British Airways
Mother’s appeal over missing son
Take Our Poll