Man, 64, injured in St David’s shooting
St David’s residents were left stunned yesterday after a well-known figure who slept in an area of farmland off Cashew City Road was wounded in a shooting on Thursday night.
One area resident told The Royal Gazette: “He is very well liked in St David’s — he has a bit of a history, but you never heard of him being in any trouble.”
She added: “He is someone who mows peoples’ yards. You’d see him walking around or catching the bus. Everybody here is in shock.”
The 64-year-old was stable in the Intensive Care Unit after being shot in the shoulder shortly before 10.30pm.
Police descended on the neighbourhood, which is next to the woodland near Little Head Park at the north end of St David’s Island.
According to a police spokesman, the victim was treated at the scene by EMTs and transported, conscious, by ambulance to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.
Early yesterday morning, police could be seen combing a wooded area just north of the final turn in the road, where a path led to a small patch of farmland.
Residents said the victim had been given permission by the land’s owner to shelter there after the house where he had been living was sold.
Another said: “The general consensus around here is that they got the wrong guy — it was mistaken identity.”
• Police yesterday renewed an appeal for witnesses, or anyone with information about the attack, to call Detective Inspector Kenten Trott on 717-2345 as soon as possible. Alternatively, anonymous tips can be provided by calling the independent and confidential Crime Stoppers hotline 800-8477. Tips can also be given by visiting www.crimestoppers.bm</i>
• On occasion The Royal Gazette may decide to not allow comments on a story that we deem might inflame sensitivities. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.
Government boat believed to be sunk
Two sides argue over magistrate’s evidence
Mentally ill man detained in hospital
Lawyer relives search for family in Bahamas
Joint store as jewellery businesses combine
Regiment ready to help Cayman Islands
Marilyn’s writing debut
Pedal power anti-drug fundraiser
Boat sale leaves police chief floundering
Will their 40th trip to Bermuda be the last?
Man admits assaulting estranged wife
Elderly driver banned for two years
Accused man tries to flee court
Medical cannabis to be promoted
Drink-driver asleep at wheel
Optimism grows on economic substance impact
Take Our Poll
- "Which of these is the worst political gaffe of modern times"
- Craig Cannonier getting on that plane
- Michael Fahy pressing on with Pathways to Status
- Bob Richards's 'Money doesn't grow on trees' speech
- Lt-Col David Burch and ATVs
- Wayne Caines and the London cereal cafe
- Zane DeSilva's mystery shopper cruise
- Total Votes: 5373
- Poll Archive