BHB: announces grants for medical studies
Bermuda’s medical expertise has been boosted, courtesy of nine scholarships.
This year’s grants came from the Bermuda Hospitals Board with funding from the Bermuda Hospitals Charitable Trust, with a GlaxoSmithKline scholarship that BHB administers.
The announcement came as BHCT and BHB declared a second $350,000 donation to support scholarships and staff training.
The trust’s similar donation last year enabled BHB to unroll new awards for mental health nursing, finance and, in memory of BHB nurse, Dashunte Furbert, scholarships for students studying nursing at the Bermuda College.
The remaindersupported training for more than 140 BHB staff.
Lisa Sheppard, executive director of BHCT, said the support for training and education was “an important area our donors have said they want to support”.
The trust was thanked by BHB’s chief executive, Venetta Symonds, who called the scholarships and training “critical” as BHB works to improve services and facilities.
This year’s scholarship recipients are:
• Samantha Crockwell, studying Health Sciences (Occupational Therapy) at the University of Worcester: $10,000 for one year;
• Curlena Smith (Mental Health Nursing Scholarship, studying Nursing (Mental Health) at the University of Northampton: $40,000 per year for two years;
• Jashae Allen-Lamontagne (Dashunte Furbert Scholarship), studying Nursing at Bermuda College: $5,000 for one year;
• Odile Baker, studying Nursing at Baltimore City Community College: $10,000 for one year;
• Donnika Bean, studying Nursing at Elmhurst College: $10,000 per year for two years;
• Dasha Caines, studying Nursing at Oakwood University: $10,000 per year for two years;
• Jennifer Ross, studying Nursing at Georgia State University: $10,000 per year for two years;
• Britney Robinson (GlaxoSmithKline Scholarship), studying Health Sciences (Pharmacology) at Nova Southeastern University: $15,000 per year for two years;
• Brieanna Samuels, studying Finance (Business) at the University of West of England: $5,000 for one year;
• Antoinae Durrant, studying Finance (Business) at Nottingham Trent University: $10,000 for one year.