TN Tatem closure decision expected
The future of a mould-plagued middle school closed last year will be revealed tomorrow.
Diallo Rabain, the Minister of Education, will meet staff from TN Tatem Middle School, in Warwick, at a meeting at CedarBridge Academy to announce his decision.
The meeting was confirmed in an e-mail seen by The Royal Gazette.
It said that Mr Rabain “would like to meet with you to inform you in person ...”
The meeting is one of three planned for tomorrow — separate talks are to be held with parents of TN Tatem pupils and middle school principals.
The ministry released a 29-page consultation document last November as it considered the permanent closure of TN Tatem.
The document said that a temporary closure had shown that middle school pupils could be “accommodated in the other four middle schools”.
It added: “Enrolment at the time of the temporary closure, as well as the continued system-wide decrease in enrolment, indicate that TN Tatem Middle School is no longer required to serve as a middle school.”
The ministry said that if a decision was made to keep the school closed a “significant portion” of the school’s budget would be reinvested in other middle schools, and that no TN Tatem staff would be made redundant.
The document added a decision on the school would be announced by January 29.
Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works, told MPs in the House of Assembly last November that several proposals for the school were under consideration.
He said these included a boxing ring, a carpentry shop after school programme, and a cookery and baking kitchen for budding entrepreneurs. The ministry announced last October that talks would be held with parents and teachers over the potential axing of the school, which was closed over mould problems last April.
Mr Rabain said last May that pupils would not return to the school after their summer break.
He said at the time that work to tackle the mould and other issues would take at least ten months to complete and cost $3 million.
An online petition to block the permanent shutdown of the school was launched on website Change.org. It had more than 150 signatures last night.
Bermuda records two Covid-19 deaths
Government tightens grip on Caroline Bay
Lockdown: regiment out in force
Debt collectors told to show compassion
Premier and Buzz clash
Pair charged with breaching curfew
Panic eases at supermarkets
State of emergency backed by MPs
Take Our Poll