Hundreds rush to help make cup a success
December 5 marked the 2016 International Volunteer Day established by the United Nations and National Volunteer Day in Bermuda. In recognition of this special occasion we are celebrating the tremendous interest demonstrated by our community to dedicate their time and talent to support the 35th America’s Cup.
We are grateful for the hundreds of people who have submitted their volunteer application to become part of the First Mates team.
We have commenced reviewing the applications since the November 30 deadline and we are astounded at the fascinating and remarkable range of candidates keen to volunteer for the 35th America’s Cup.
Not only have skilled, qualified and competitive sailors applied, but previous volunteers of America’s Cup World Series Events and past America’s Cup campaigns, spectators of the sport and the event, family members of the America’s Cup teams and avid first timers of the America’s Cup have all registered their interest to get involved.
We are amazed to have received more than 800 applications, from which we have identified the following fun facts:
• Applicants’ ages range from 18 to 86 years old featuring students, working professionals and retirees
• Applications have been received from not only residents of Bermuda but also across 34 different countries, travelling as far as New Zealand, Japan, India, United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Afghanistan, Gambia and Azerbaijan
• The majority of applicants are Bermudian, however candidates represent a total of 49 nationalities including American, Australian, Austrian, Bahamian, Bangladeshi, British, Canadian, Colombian, French, German, Irish, Jamaican, Kenyan, New Zealander, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swiss, Thai, and Uzbekistani and are fluent in 34 different languages such as Arabic, Cantonese, French, Bulgarian, Finnish, Japanese, Punjabi, Spanish, Swahili, and Tagalog.
• Candidates have displayed an incredibly diverse range of skills, qualifications and experience. To name a few … two, three-time Olympians in Sprint Kayaking and Laser Radial Sailing, Nasa Scientists, Pilots, Rescue Divers, Harvard University Sailing Instructors, Journalists, Dentists, Artists, Interior and Graphic Designers, Book Publicists, VIP Nightclub Managers, Nurses, Teachers, Wedding Planners, Ex Royal Navy Engineers, NFL Sports Photographers, Presidents of Golf Clubs and Brain Surgeons. The list is endless and we are delighted to have such a unique group of talented applicants!
We are excited to see our programme come together and look forward to leading our First Mates through their volunteer journey:
• The First Mates Volunteer Services Team reviews all applications through until January 2017.
• Candidates through to the next stage will be invited to and interviewed in January 2017. Candidates will be informed if they are required to be interviewed, as not all roles involve this process.
• Successful candidates will be sent offers mid-February 2017.
• Once a candidate has accepted their offer, they will receive an invitation in March 2017 to attend the mandatory First Mates Orientation in April 2017 and role-specific Training in May 2017.
• Schedules will be sent to all First Mates in April 2017.
• First Mates will be ready to conduct their roles in May and June 2017 once they have collected their uniform and accreditation.
It is not too late to get involved, so if you or anyone you know has an interest in becoming a First Mate please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately, there are no guarantees but if there are available roles and opportunities the Volunteer Services Team will be in contact. Please note all applicants must fit the eligibility criteria before applying to be a First Mate.
For more information please visit www.americascup.com and also check out our FAQs.
Eye test can help diagnose Alzheimer’s
Craftswoman Barbara Millett dies, aged 80
Samuel’s new garden will feed the needy
Calls for a living wage in Bermuda
Homeless centre will cost $4m
Let’s learn from Olson controversy
Turning difficulties into miracles
Take Our Poll