BEDC gives boost to six business people
Six business people have been given a head start through a pilot support programme run by the Bermuda Economic Development Corporation.
Walter Roban, the Acting Minister of Economic Development and Tourism, said the Enterprise Bermuda Incubator Programme, launched in February, offered participants “an intensive, nine-month development process whereby they can hone their business ideas and implement strategies for success”.
Mr Roban added that the six will develop their business ideas to “best determine if it will work in Bermuda’s competitive marketplace and scale beyond Bermuda”.
As well as using the BEDC’s offices and network of services, the entrepreneurs will meet regularly with officers.
They will also travel to Istanbul in Turkey to take part in the Global Entrepreneurship Congress, from Sunday until April 19.
The six are:
• Surlena Smith, Pitch Green Winner with her all-natural deodorant brand, Ponda Pits
• Nakia Smith, Pitch Pink Winner whose Sip and Savour Bermuda food tours plan to offer visitors the chance to eat and drink like locals
• Chris Phillips, Pitch Tech Winner whose mobile app, Dealio, alerts customers to the closest local deals
• Tracey Hayward, Pitch Town Winner whose website, School Boxez, provides parents of children in middle and high school with school supplies
• Chaella Bradshaw-Douglas, Youth Pitch Winner whose vending machine business, Good Chew, aims to provide home-made, healthy snack alternatives to school students
• Cire Bean, Youth Pitch Runner Up whose online matching business, Pay-A-Kid, pairs young people between the ages of 13 and 18 with odd jobs
Surlena Smith will also represent Bermuda at the Future Agro Challenge a few days earlier in Turkey.
Ms Smith will share her natural product design with other “innovative environmental revolutions from around the globe”, Mr Roban said.
The next group to take part in the scheme will start in January next year.
Applications with criteria for selection will be made available online, and for pick-up at the BEDC’s office at 48 Church Street, from September 1 until November 1.
Take Our Poll