Consultation over energy service
The Regulatory Authority has asked the public for input on what should be the service standard for energy providers.
Drafts of the Service Standards have been published online to help the public have a “meaningful role” in the process.
Aaron Smith, RA interim chief executive, said: “The authority is primarily concerned with ensuring that consumers receive safe and reliable services at just and reasonable rates.”
He added: “This work by the Authority contributes to a robust regulatory framework for the electricity sector and establishes clear guidelines for the public when dealing with Belco and other providers.
“The Service Standards are a requirement of the Electricity Act 2016.”
Mr Smith said stakeholders, including Belco, the Tynes Bay Waste-to-Energy facility and other potential energy suppliers, have also been asked to provide input. The Authority said the standards, when complete, will identify:
• Customer service measures such as the number of consumer complaints received and the average response time to resolve a query
• Technical parameters such as the efficiency of transferring electricity from generators to consumers
• Indicators to measure the average frequency and length of electricity outages per customer per year using industry standards
• Occupational Health and Safety requirements for licensees to ensure that employees and contractors are safe at work
The authority will also consider monitoring the performance of licensees, comparing energy generation companies against each other and establishing performance incentives.
Mr Smith said: “Performance Standards will need to be met while ensuring that end-user tariffs are reasonable, without significant increases year to year.”
• Those interested in giving input can do so online at rab.bm/electricity-public-consultations
Take Our Poll
- "What are your views on anonymous online commenting (trolling)?"
- Helpful to our democracy and needs to continue
- Hurtful to our democracy and needs to end
- Limits the number of people willing to give public service
- An important tool for political parties
- Total Votes: 4508
- Poll Archive